(sorry about the blank reply a minute ago)

> I am looking into the more advanced paypal instant notification
> stuff for the next version of my sw, but version one is using a
> simpler approach to get it out the door. Even that paypal sw
> wouldn't solve my problem, which is to make sure that the POST to
> paypal actually matches the transaction that the user has built up.

I found IPN to be *very* simple to use, logging the notifications to a DB
and then acting as required.  I would even be happy to send you my
notification script, which uses Apache::Registry but is really just a simple
POST BACK to paypal and when the response is 'OK', take the appropriate
action (payment received, account terminated, etc) (but please reply
privately if you want it).

The only nits I experienced were A) forgetting to send back the "OK\r\n" to
paypal that they expect to see from a successful notify.  They called me and
wondered if my script was broken... B) having to set up a unique index on my
logging table on the "verify_sign" field, because in spite of the correct
response chain, paypal has a tendency to notify repeatedly and redundantly.

HTH!

L8r,
Rob