From: Ken Y. Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 9:02 PM
To: Chandrasekhar R S
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Query

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Chandrasekhar R S wrote:

> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:52:27 +0530
> From: Chandrasekhar R S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Query
>
> I am having a requirement as follows :
>
>       I need to execute/interpret the perl requests away from mod_perl.  Like,
> could mod_perl delegate the execution/interpretation of perl scripts to
some
> other process.  In the end, mod_perl would be used just to accept requests
> from the Web Server, but processing will be done elsewhere and response
will
> be routed back through mod_perl.
>
> - rsr.
>
> Namaste,
> R S Chandrasekhar
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ISD     : 091-080-2052427
> Telnet : 847-2427
> Phone : 2052427

RSR,

You can certainly do something like this, in many different ways.
This *is* still Perl, you know.  :-)  You could use your mod_perl
process to update a queue that's in a file or database table, then
have another process (written in Perl or whatever) executed by a cron
job to look at the queue and process the next job.  The user could be
given a token to associate with the job, then then check back later to
get the results of the job.  If you need it to be more immediate, then
you'll have to get fancier.  If it's a really long-running process you
need to kick off, you'll need to take into account the dangers of
forking your mod_perl process or having it wait around for the end of
the job.

Have you tried searching the archives for similar questions?  Here's
one place you can search:

    http://mathforum.org/discussions/epi-search/modperl.html

Namaste,

ky