From:     Charlie Smith
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date:     1/6/2003 8:41 AM
Subject:     mod_perl invokation valid?
CC:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm a newbee at this, so please have patience.

Question: Even though I have PERL 5.8 installed, we wish to get mod_perl installed to make use of caching.
Currently, a listing of the %ENV hash indicates that we're running mod_perl/1.25.   PERL 5.8 is also listed out in the PERL5LIB env variable in httpd.conf.

Is it correct assume we'll see a speed up after upgrading mod_perl?
IF not, what else might need to be done to acheive a performance improvement with caching PERL.

My configuration  includes:

GCC 2.95, PERL 5.8, DBI 1.3 and DBD::Oracle 1.12, Oracle 9.0.1

SunOS 5.8 Generic 108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW, Ultra-80, Apache 1.3.19
mod_perl/1.25

Thanks,
Charlie
1/6/02

>>> "Ged Haywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/06/03 09:32AM >>>
Hi there,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Charlie Smith wrote:

[snip,snip]
> assume we'll see a speed up after upgrading mod_perl?

Your question is not clear.  It depends on what you're doing with it.
If you're already using mod_perl then simply upgrading it won't give
you a substantial performance improvement.

Read the mod_perl Guide, you'll find it at the mod_perl home page
http://perl.apache.org and it tells you a lot about performance
tuning and other useful stuff.

> My configuration  includes:
> GCC 2.95, PERL 5.8, DBI 1.3 and DBD::Oracle 1.12, Oracle 9.0.1SunOS 5.8 Generic
> 108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW, Ultra-80, Apache 1.3.19 mod_perl/1.25

You should upgrade to the latest versions of Apache and mod_perl
(versions 1.3.x and 1.2x, not mod_perl 1.99 which is really 2.0x:)

There have been problems now and again with SunOS but don't let
me worry you about that, it might not happen.

73,
Ged.

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.