Hi Charlie,

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Charlie Smith wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response.   I was informed that we were not running mod
> Perl, but at the same time the env hash indicated we were,

Read the Guide, it has a section specifically addressing this issue.

> So, I'll try and clarify my question.  We would like to take advantage of
> caching with PERL, and make use of the DBI packages as well.   It would seem
> that there is duplicity that needs to be resolved here.  The env hash for apache
> indicates we're running Perl ver 5.00503.   I installed ver 5.8 to get the DBI
> stuff working.

That probably wasn't necessary unless there's a 5.8 dependency in the
particular modules you're using - I still routinely use DBI with Perl
5.00503 and MySQL in live servers.

>   The mod_perl is part of the apache configuration that was there
> when I came on board.  It would seem to me that we need to upgrade the
> apache/Perl relationship so that the env hash and programs recognize Perl 5.8.
>
> Question: Do I need to recompile anything,

You need to recompile mod_perl if you want to use 5.8 with your mod_perl scripts.
It's explained in the Guide and it's a lot easier than it looks at first.

> I've got some other apps that use CGI and HTTP modules associated with perl
> 5.00503.  They don't appear to work with PERL 5.8 as configured on my machine.
> I'd like to get these working with PERL 5.8 as well.

Then I guess you're going to have to do some recoding...

> Another related question: Just to understand part of your response.  Looks like
> I'm already ok with current versions of apache and mod_perl at 1.3.19 and 1.25?

I don't think I quite said that.  You should upgrade to the latest
stable Apache and mod_perl for several reasons, security and bug fixes
being two of them.  My recommendation would be that you always compile
your own Apache and mod_perl from the sources whenever you can.

> How are things in grand old England?

Snowing (but then I'm not going to stay here for very long... :)

73,
Ged.