On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Nick Tonkin wrote:
> > Well, I'm taking the plunge.
> >
> > I have a brand new spiffy machine I'm configuring and I've decided, since
> > for once I don't have to get it up and running urgently, to go the whole
> > hog and move to the 2.0 world.
> >
> > For me this means upgrading not only from apache 1.3x and mod_perl 1.2x
> > but also from perl 5.005.
> >
> > I'm going to install 5.8 but am confused by an apparent contradiction in
> > the mod_perl2 docs.
> >
> > In http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html it first
> > says:
> >
> > Remember that threads support slows things down, so don't enable it unless
> > you really need it.
> >
> > But then under 'Configuring and Installing Prerequisites' it gives an an
> > example:
> >
> > % ./Configure -des -Dusethreads
> >

> > I'm confused. Where's the quick answer to whether or not I should use
> > threads? I'm on FreeBSD 4.7.
>
> As Geoff has replied, plus it's documented:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Prerequisites
>
> I'll change the example to have both ways demonstrated.

That would help remove the perception of a suggestion towards
threading. But what I was really looking for was something to help me
choose whether or not to use threads at all. I couldn't find this clear
answer in the perl documentation. Geoff suggested that if stability was a
priority and performance was not, particularly, then I might as well stay
away from threads both in apache and in perl. Later I found a tip for
installing apache2 for FreeBSD (in the apache docs) that warned against
using threads on FreeBSD in any event. So I made what seems now to be an
obvious decision to not use 'em.

But I think it would be better if the pointer you _do_ have in the docs,
which I quoted, saying that threqads should be avoided unless there's a
really good reason why not, could be emphasized or clarified more.

- nick

Nick Tonkin   {|8^)>