That would help remove the perception of a suggestion towards
threading. But what I was really looking for was something to help me
choose whether or not to use threads at all. I couldn't find this clear
answer in the perl documentation. Geoff suggested that if stability was a
priority and performance was not, particularly, then I might as well stay
away from threads both in apache and in perl. Later I found a tip for
installing apache2 for FreeBSD (in the apache docs) that warned against
using threads on FreeBSD in any event. So I made what seems now to be an
obvious decision to not use 'em.
I've heard similar things about FreeBSD and threads.

But I think it would be better if the pointer you _do_ have in the docs,
which I quoted, saying that threqads should be avoided unless there's a
really good reason why not, could be emphasized or clarified more.
See if it's any better now. Go to:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Configuring_and_Installing_Prerequisites
which takes you to:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Prerequisites
which mentions all the probs in the prefork mpm section. Obviously the threaded-mpm requires threads.

If you have an idea how to make things better please post a patch against the pod source (use cvs or grab the source following the [src] button at the right top corner of the page you are on). Thanks.