Eric Frazier wrote:
On that note, how about just using Apache2 for the proxy front end, and
mod_perl /apache 1.x for the back end? I have wanted to try to avoid the
thttpd stuff for images and from what I have heard about apache2 it can
handle static pages a lot faster than the 1.x did.
You really should be able to get more than enough performance out of 1.x for static files, unless you are using very old hardware. We used a slim 1.x build with mod_proxy, mod_ssl, and mod_rewrite for all of our static files at eToys and it ran like a champ. It's true that both thttpd and apache 2 have better performance, but web server performance on static files is almost irrelevant on today's hardware because you fill your bandwidth up long before anything else becomes an issue.

- Perrin