benjamin mccall wrote:
well, i edited the /etc/hosts file and it seemed to've done the trick.
Earlier you said that the patch to Apache/TestConfig.pm has done the trick.

but now it seems i'm taking heaps of test failures from 'make test' run.
if apache is inactive, would that cause these failures? for instance,
most of my failures resulted from the 'apr/perlio.t',
'modules/cgiupload.t', and 'modules/cgi.t'.
My guess is that you aren't running the loopback interface. What do you get when you run:

su -c /sbin/ifconfig

there should be an entry for 'lo' (guessing that you are on unix, from your mentioning of /usr/local/ in your original post). e.g. on my machine in addition to 'eth0' entry I have:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5738173 (5.4 Mb) TX bytes:5738173 (5.4 Mb)

If you don't have it and you don't know how to fix that, you have to read the manual for your operating system, or some howtos, e.g.:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Net-HOWTO/x540.html
If you are still in trouble, you should refer to the appropriate list for your OS to solve it, since this is not a mod_perl problem.