benjamin mccall wrote:
I'm sorry, but i just cannot comprehend the doc or Doug's book
explanation on how to further configure Apache to load any custom perl
modules I might add.
I dropped a perl dir under apache2: /usr/local/apache2/lib/perl/Apache
per Doug's direction (from "Apache Modules..." p. 28). I don't believe I
have a perl startup file. Or do i? And where do I place the "PerlSetEnv"
directive? In httpd.conf? I cannot seem to make sense between the online
doc and the book's direction. No criticism to the authors, I'm just a bit
slow. I would like to pace myself learning how to build and implement my
own perl and c modules with mod_perl as advocated by Steve and Doug.

My testbed includes Apache 2.043: mod_perl(1.99_08): perl 5.8 on linux.
If someone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.
First, the eagle book covers mod_perl 1.0. Not 2.0. Though most of the Perl things should work in the same way under 2.0. The chapters on C are definitely
applying only to Apache 1.3. Not Apache 2.0.

Second, the online documentation for mod_perl 2.0 is far from being complete and you should refer to the 1.0 documentation for the missing parts. Use the search to find your way around. A help to port the 1.0 bits of docs to 2.0 is appreaciated.

PerlSetEnv and other Perl* directives go to httpd.conf.

The startup file should be created, it's not provided by mod_perl.

So go to http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide and start reading from there. All your questions are already answered there.

Finally, since mod_perl 2.0 is under development and the docs are incomplete you are much better off learning with mod_perl 1.0 which is stable and pretty much bug free.