Hann, Brian wrote:
I have a mod_perl handler set as the 401 ErrorDocument for a certain location that requires authentication. I would like to store data in notes() in the first location so that the 401 handler can access them. Is that possible? So far I haven't been able to get it to work.

try $r->prev->notes

If it is not, is there some way I could internally mimic Apache's authentication challenge/response setup? For instance, what happens when you return AUTH_REQUIRED to Apache?

this is all explained in chapter 13 in the cookbook, as well as in the eagle book. for an example of plugging into authentication, see

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch13/Cookbook/Authenticate.pm

Is it possible to do this inside a mod_perl handler by using set_handlers()?

well, not really. unfortunately, you can't just set or push authentication, since Apache skips it unless you have a Require directive attached to the ErrorDocument.

HTH

--Geoff