I am stuck in an Ensim environment (shared web-hosting, Apache 1.3.27 and mod_perl 1.24) and am trying to get around some of the limitations imposed by Ensim. Basically, I have complete .htaccess control but have no way to restart the server or start it with different arguments or modify the central httpd.conf

What is possible within an .htaccess file as far as perl configuration for mod_perl 1? I am already using the <Perl></Perl> sections to unshift @INC (because 'PerlSetVar PERL5LIB /my/path' pushes the values) and have tried using PerlRequire startup.pl, however the startup.pl file only executes for one of the httpd children. What happens with PerlModule directives, i.e. does the module get loaded only once, the first time that apache processes the .htaccess, or every time apache hits the directory? Similarly, If I am developing a module in place and PerlModule it within an .htaccess, will it be reloaded whenever apache hits the directory, or only once? If its only once, can I force a reload of the module? Finally, can I use the <Perl></Perl> sections to totally replace a startup.pl, or are there any caveats that I should be aware of?

Thanks
-Mike