That's fixed it - I don't server many images - thanks very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Perrin Harkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 29 May 2003 1:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't use sendmail more than once

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 22:45, Greg Dutkowski wrote:
> I have migrated my site from IIS and Active State to Apache 1.3 and
mod_perl
> on a Windows machine. I use the site to send emails to registered users
> using Mail::sendmail through our SMTP server (another machine).
>
> With Apache I can only send emails once after I start the Apache server,
> thereafter it tells me it can't connect to the SMTP server. Restarting the
> Apache server leads to again being able to only send emails once.
>
> Any ideas?

This is a known problem with mod_perl 1.x on Win32.  Sockets only work
when you make it single-threaded (ThreadsPerChild 1).  Doing that
doesn't make a difference in terms of your actual script performance,
since mod_perl is already single-threaded on Win32, but it will make
images slow.  One solution is to serve the images from a separate web
server.

- Perrin