On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Shannon Eric Peevey wrote:

> Here is an example of my Makefile.PL using ModUtils::AutoInstall:
[ ... ]
> I then add the necessary code inside of the .pm file to check
> the version of mod_perl on the machine and perform
> appropriately. (I hope... ;) )  This allows a module to live in
> both worlds, and removes the necessity of supporting two code
> bases.  I think that this type of porting will help authors to
> go ahead and port their modules, expanding the mp2 module base,
> and alleviate fears of jumping off of a cliff and leaving mp1
> behind.

ExtUtils::AutoInstall is pretty powerful, and flexible. It does
though add an extra external dependency that the end user must
normally install. For some packages (eg, those supplying custom
config directives that must 'use mod_perl;' right within
Makefile.PL to build), this is probably the easiest approach. For
other, less complicated dependencies, though, that still need
something extra beyond the standard ExtUtils::MakeMaker and
friends, Module::Install might be a simpler approach - there's
nothing extra that the user has to install, as the code for any
additional functionality is included within the distribution.

--
best regards,
randy