Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 18:41, Bruce Tennant wrote:

Can we fix the "list" so that when a person replies, it defaults to
the list address and not the posters?

Read the following thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=99790842623617&w=2

Please advise on another way to tell people to respond to the list and not in private. I used to receive much less off-list replies earlier.

Normally when people followup to my reply in private, I don't know what to do about it. I simply bounce it back to the list if it's obvious that the poster just didn't know better. However in some cases an off-list email means that the poster did *not* want it to be seen in public, so I end up asking the person whether she ment to send it to the list in first place, but hit 'Reply' instead of 'Reply-All'. So we have another 2 emails going back in forth. So instead of generating 1 email we end up with 4 in the best case. Now multiply by the number of misdirected emails.

Moreover when people correct their mistake they usually end up forwarding the email, they sent to off-list, losing all reference email ids, which breaks the thread in the archives.

Purhaps adding a list signature:

Always post followups back to the list!

will help, but who reads that.