Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
as I said, nowhere in any of the module shipped with core do I find logic like this - mod_include and mod_cgi both seem to call ap_run_sub_req without flushing the main data stream (though mod_include does split the stream and send the data _prior to the tag_ off). I don't see why mod_perl needs to behave differently in this respect, but if flushing is required for other reasons I can't see, making it a tacit part of $sub->run seems the wrong solution since it goes against the intent of output filters.

but that's how it works in mp1, no? Are you required to flush any data before issuing a subrequest? If I remember correctly you aren't.