On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:55:46PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 12:46, Zack Brown wrote:
> > I'd like to implement something that tries to ensure that one user can't
> > masquerade as multiple users.
>
> We talked quite a bit about preventing multiple logins recently.  I
> think it was last week.  Check the archives.
>
> > I'm looking into Captchas
>
> Are you trying to prevent multiple people from using the same account,
> or one person from having multiple windows open, or anyone from using
> bots?

I want to prevent one person from having multiple accounts.

> > My
> > impression so far is that there's no 100% effective way to do it.
>
> That's correct, unless you have control over the client machines.  You
> can require cookies, which will tell you if multiple users on separate
> browsers are sharing a login, but that's about all you can do without
> possibly breaking your system for someone.

Someone can appear to be multiple people by disabling cookies though.

I want to ensure that if person A registers to use a site, they are not
able to register again using a different login, or else they are only
able to register a small enough number of times that it isn't worth it
for them to do so.

Be well,
Zack

--