On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 03:11:04PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:42, Zack Brown wrote:
> > I want to prevent one person from having multiple accounts.
>
> Okay.
>
> > > That's correct, unless you have control over the client machines.  You
> > > can require cookies, which will tell you if multiple users on separate
> > > browsers are sharing a login, but that's about all you can do without
> > > possibly breaking your system for someone.
> >
> > Someone can appear to be multiple people by disabling cookies though.
>
> That's why I said "require" cookies: you reject all requests from people
> who don't allow cookies, and then you use the cookies for tracking.  A
> moderately tech-savvy user can delete your cookie and log in again under
> a separate account, but people who are scared of opening up prefs and
> messing with cookie management (or people who simply don't care enough
> to bother) will be stopped.
>
> If you have a fixed set of clients who are definitely not using proxies,
> you can use IP instead of cookies.

Any simple way to defeat the system will end up not working. I'm looking
for something truly secure.

> > I want to ensure that if person A registers to use a site, they are not
> > able to register again using a different login
>
> Ask them for a credit card then.  There's no other way that will really
> work 100% of the time.

That's what I figured. Even that won't work all the time, but it will
probably limit people to one login per credit card. Unfortunately, then
I have to get a merchant account, and there will always be some users
who just don't like giving out credit card information.

Be well,
Zack

--
Zack Brown