Wes Barris wrote:
Stas Bekman wrote:

Wes Barris wrote:
[...]

Notice that there is no "$apache" variable used here and I am showing
that the correct directory exists.

You are correct, Wes. There is a mismatch between the docs and the reality.

Using APACHE_SRC and DO_HTTPD=1 avoids the prompt:

Configure mod_perl with ../apache-1.3/src ? [y]

but not with NO_HTTPD.

Let's keep the docs as they are and fix the reality.

Gah. I was too quick to reply, after copy-n-paste testing your input. The reality seems to be fine. It's around -0C outside and the evening is kicking in, mountains are covered with snow. I'm asking myself what I'm doing in front of this screen and not going out ;)

The culprit is PREP_HTTPD=1, the logic roughly goes like this:

$PREP_HTTPD  => prompt
($NO_HTTPD && !$PREP_HTTPD) || $DO_HTTPD => no prompt

Ok.  According to this logic, I cannot stop the prompt from occurring
if using PREP_HTTPD=1.

Looks like it. You can easily see what's going on in Makefile.PL:

around line 566:

        unless($NO_HTTPD and not $DYNAMIC and not $PREP_HTTPD) {
            unless($DO_HTTPD) {
                $ans = prompt("Configure mod_perl with $adir ?", "y");
                next unless $ans =~ /^y$/i;
            }

So should we fix the docs to stress that the prompt will not go away with NO_HTTPD=1, if PREP_HTTPD=1?

Having that in the docs would have stopped me from asking this question.
However, then I would have to ask why it is deemed necessary to prompt if
the apache src directory is explicitly set.

Let's polish that issue and we will update the docs to reflect what's going on. Nobody has complained in the last 7 years, so I guess nobody was trying to do that.

Does it do the trick for you? Or did you go through this already and I repeat the same suggestions you've tried already?

This tells me that if I want to write a script that builds a number
of modules plus apache, I will have to answer a prompt when the
script gets to the mod_perl portion of my script (unless I want to
make mod_perl the last module built and use "DO_HTTPD=1" instead
of doing a make inside the apache directory).

Nope. Just say 'NO_HTTPD=1' and drop 'PREP_HTTPD=1'. It looks like the 3 (DO, NO, PREP) are self exclusive.

I haven't messed with advanced mp1 builds for a long time, so someone please correct me if I'm talking gibberish ;)