>>> This tells me that if I want to write a script that builds a number
>>> of modules plus apache, I will have to answer a prompt when the
>>> script gets to the mod_perl portion of my script (unless I want to
>>> make mod_perl the last module built and use "DO_HTTPD=1" instead
>>> of doing a make inside the apache directory).
>>

>> Nope. Just say 'NO_HTTPD=1' and drop 'PREP_HTTPD=1'. It looks like the 3
>> (DO, NO, PREP) are self exclusive.
>
>So 'PREP_HTTPD=1' is not needed?  All it does is force the prompt?
>And here I thought it was setting a flag to prepare the httpd code.

I'm pretty sure 'PREP_HTTPD=1' is needed.  I went through the process of
trying to figure this out about a month ago, and found the documentation
pretty confusing (confusing enough that it gave me the 'opportunity' to look
into the Makefile internals, which was a first for me, which probably wasn't
such a bad thing...).  To me, it seems that all the flags are useful, but
(a) the docs could probably be cleaned up, and (b) there should probably be
a way to avoid the prompt.  But it's all pretty minor stuff...