Hi!

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 12:36:43PM -0800, Maurice Height wrote:

> I am coding a web application using lots of Perl modules including
> Class::DBI, Text::MagicTemplate, CGI::Session and CGI::Application via
> ActivePerl v5.8.1.807.  My code has to run on both Win2K and WinXP together
> ..
> Should I use mod_perl v1 or v2?

As you are using Windows, mod_perl 1.x isn't really an option, as Windows
doesn't support forking (at least that's my understanding, I never tried
running Apache on Win)

So you should go with mod_perl 2.x

> I was thinking of using Apache::Request to process form data,
> Apache::Cookie, Apache::DBI for persistent db connections and something for
> user authorization.  I understand libapreq contains the first two modules.
>
> Is this available for mod_perl2?

Sort of, but somebody with mod_perl 2 experience should be able to tell you
more on this issue.

> BTW I put all the perl modules that my application uses (except my own) in a
> startup.pl file and added a PerlRequire directive to httpd.conf.  This
> increased instances of Apache.exe from about 4 - 8 MB to about 23 - 26 MB!
>
> Is this normal?

Again, I'm running mod_perl on Linux, but it definitly is normal to get
quite a huge increase in memory usage. See
  http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html
for more (mod_perl 1 related) info, or (mod_perl2):
  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/prevent.html
  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at