Ged,

Yep, the commonapache.conf is a file included in apache2.conf (the renamed
httpd.conf) in Gentoo by default.  They do it that way so that they can
eventually support multiple configurations OOTB.  From the apache2.conf
file:

<snip>
###
### Global Configuration
###
# Splitting up apache2.conf into two files makes it easier to support
# multiple configurations on the same server.  In commonapache2.conf
# you keep directives that apply to all implementations and in this
# file you keep server-specific directives.  While we don't yet have
# multiple configurations out-of-the-box, this allows us to do that
# in the future easily.  (PERLPROXIED *ahem*)
#
# For Apache2 we load all conf files in conf/modules.d
Include conf/modules.d/*.conf
Include conf/commonapache2.conf
</snip>

Also on Gentoo Apache runs as apache:apache, so a chown apache:apache
test.pl and chmod u+r test.pl for Stelian should do the trick.

HTH,

Dave Wilde