I don't think this is ever going to work in mp1 under Registry.  for the
most part, allowing a script to set the status of the response line is a
hack - I'm not sure how widely documented it is (I've only ever seen it in
comments in Apache core myself) and I don't see the code at all in Apache
2.0.

Well, it _does_ work properly under mod_cgi. Since Apache::Registry is supposed to emulate mod_cgi, I think it's a bug in Apache::Registry. Which is why I've sent a bug report using your most impressive test skeleton.

nevertheless, it doesn't work in Apache::Registry because the first
print calls $r->send_http_header, which sets the status line and response
headers - it's too late in the process for apache to parse the data and set
the response line.

But there's only *one* print in this test script!

Anyhow, I have the feeling that I'm going to have to stick with the empty ErrorDocument hack... As you mentioned off list it's really wrong, but at least it sort of works how it's supposed to be.