--On Thursday, March 25, 2004 11:45:54 -0800 Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> so:
>
>    netcat localhost 8529 -vv
>
> doesn't work. but:
>
>    netcat 127.0.0.1 8529 -vv
>
> right?

no - i don not think it is a problem of my computers name resolution of
the hosts entry "localhost" because "ping localhost" etc. works.

Also "netcat -l localhost -p 8529" together with "netcat localhost 8529" are
working perfect.
"/etc/hosts.conf" has "order hosts, bind" which means, as far as i
understand it,
first ask the /etc/hosts file and then the specified name servers, but this
is
- i guess - what most standard linux systems have.

But i think i found it:

In my /etc/hosts i have more than one entry for the address 127.0.0.1.
I am using this for testing my virtual hosts on the local machine.
When i delete/uncomment all other entries but the one
"127.0.0.1 localhost" "make test" works.

No - more testing:
At least only the IP V6 entry

::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

which is a default entry in my SuSE 9.0 system, was it.
After uncommenting it, the test works (as far as the httpd is accessed).

Hope this helps.

Helmut