>>APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/PATH/TO/HTTPD make test
>>
>>or
>>
>>t/TEST -httpd=/path/to/httpd
>>
>>etc. please refer to the documentation for more options.
>

> OK, I used option 1 above, however, it seems that the test suite
> _insists_ on testing auth using mod_auth_digest.c (which is not ready
> yet in 2.1).

for the record that's not true: mod_auth_digest works just fine in both 2.0
and 2.1.  the problem you're having (below) is that the 2.0 and 2.1 versions
of mod_auth_digest are incompatable due to a change in the authentication
mechanism in apache core.

> The generated http.conf file does this:

> <IfModule !mod_auth_digest.c>
>     LoadModule auth_digest_module "/usr/apache2/lib/apache/mod_auth_digest.so"
> </IfModule>
>
> which brings in a copy of mod_auth_digest.so from another test 2.0 server
> and the 2.1 server will not start:

yes, that's a problem, similar to ones I've seen before.  please try the
suggestions I made before: start with 'make realclean',  remove all traces
of TestConfigData.pm from both your installed perl tree as well as your
local Apache-Test tree.  also, try removing Apache/BuildConfig.pm from both
places as well, just in case - I generally start my nightly build scripts with

  find /perl/ -name "Apache*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;

as I also said, I haven't had any problems running or testing both 2.0 and
2.1, but there is some config bleeding that has been present as long as I
can remember but that has been thus far elusive.

HTH

--Geoff