Brad Bowman wrote:

Thanks for the patch, Brad. But are you sure this is still the case with the latest mp1? This thread that you've quoted is 4 years old. And it doesn't show any code that may cause such a leak.

I'm reasonable sure I got the leaks with apache 1.3.27 and mod_perl 1.27. I don't know about newer versions.

I've looked again and can't find the code I used, I think it
was defining a sub which was probably the leak.

it's not a crime, but if you're running Perl code during restart there's a
strong chance you'll be growing the server size.  i agree 1M is bizarre
though.

In which case this should probably mention:

+Also, be aware that <Perl> sections can also cause leaks during
+graceful restarts.  See the (sub)thread:
+http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/304620

"when running some perl code"? as in 'besides using <perl> sections to do dynamic configuration'?

I took the "if you're running Perl code during restart" to include
dynamic configuration code.  I don't really understand the process
so I'll defer to you.  I'd just like to see <perl> sections mentioned
as a possible culprit.

Well, I hoped that someone will tune in and share a code sample, but as noone did (at least yet) I've just committed your original patch, warning about the possibility of the leak.

Thank you, Brad.