Grant,

You may have a problem because the "SetHandler perl-script" directive goes in a
container that is based on the url.  If you remove all directories from the url, the
handler for mod_perl won't get used.

I have the following in my http.conf file:

Alias /perl/ "e:/Apache2/cgi-perl/"
  <Location /perl>
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
     Options +ExecCGI
     PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
  </Location>

A url used in my system look like this:
https://cgoehring.resourceconsultants.com/perl/inSIMSFrameSet.cgi

Without /perl/ in the url, mod_perl doesn't get used.

You may be able to just put the following in the root level (outside of any container)
but the mod_perl would handle every request made of your server including html pages.

     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
     Options +ExecCGI
     PerlOptions +ParseHeaders

You could do like I do with any alias you want, but I think you need something.

I have no other answer for you but the others might.

Chuck