Grant wrote:
My httpd.conf file is apache2.conf after being set up
by Gentoo and there doesn't seem to be any mention of
which user and group it runs as.

If you start it as root, then I believe it defaults to "nobody" when User is not specified.

The Link.pm file is
unreadable to me.

Not a good sign. If the authors of the software won't help you and you can't understand their code, this may not be the best choice for you.

Would it be safe to let the user in
question rwx the socket file?

I can't really say, given that I don't know what the purpose of the socket is or what Interchange::Link might use it for. This is something you need to find out from a person familiar with Interchange.

- Perrin