https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2446 says:

"We do not support mod_perl on our shared hosting plans.

We're sorry about this; the problem is that mod-perl is just too
much of a memory hog to attach to Apache (the web serving software),
and it introduces a great deal of instability to our systems.

We are looking into ways to provide mod_perl in the future, but do
not currently have a time line in place."

As I see it, Mod_perl provides two things: 1) speed and 2)
functionality in terms of an operating environment.

The application I want to run (WebGUI) needs mod_perl for its
operating environment - is there some setting that is going to
reassure my hosting provider that they can run mod_perl and that the
mod_perl module (or my context) will get swapped out after a short
period of time? I don't intend to be hitting my WebGUI application
very often so I'm not too concerned about speed.

Thanks,
   Martin.