On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 08:15, David Radunz wrote:
> My patch:

This looks like a good idea to me.  I'd say we should put it in.

> For example:
>
> print STDERR 'time_constant = '. &time_constant(). "\n";
> sub time_constant () {
>    time. ' '. $$;
> }
>
> running under 'httpd -X'
>
> would produce a different time each request, and the same process id.

That's okay, since it would give a different time under CGI as well.

My advice in general is that you just shouldn't use constants in Perl.
The subroutine thing is kind of a hack, and the confusing problems with
stringification are not worth the performance boost.  Just use package
variables instead.  This doesn't work so well for running other people's
code though.

- Perrin