Stas Bekman said:
> In fact Perrin gave a perfect counter-example, while looking for an
> example. The fact is C libraries *do not* embed version numbers in their
> API.

Sure they do, when they change the API significantly: SQLite2, Gtk2,
libxml2.  Separate API, manpages, headers, etc.

> Perl has been evolving for more than 10 years, and one day
> it'll have a built-in solution for this filesystem collision problem.

AFAIK, no language has a solution for this, except possibly crazy Java
hacks with custom classloaders.

> this should be accomplished by a standard mechanism of:
>
> META.yml:
> generation: 2.2

I don't really see how asking for "Apache::Foo, generation 2.2" is any
easier than asking for "Apache2_2::Foo."  It seems like a purely aesthetic
distinction.

- Perrin