Foo Ji-Haw wrote:
Hello guys,

I know this is not exactly the best fit for this mailing list, but I am trying to use FreeBSD (4.11 + 5.3) for mp2 work. Hope that qualifies it!

The problem is that the perl that comes with FBSD is not compiled with ithreads. I read that to run different modperl apps on virtual sites without conflicting on namespace, I need to set PerlOptions +Parent. But this only works for Perl with ithreads.

I am not exactly a FreeBSD guru, and I really like to stick to Ports if possible. Can someone advise me on any params I can add to make && make install to enable ithreads?

The question is whether you want to use it. Perl w/ithreads not only slows things down and requires more memory, while ok for dev purposes, it will probably won't scale well in production. The reason, cloning a new perl thread under the server with many modules loaded and busy CPU may take... a few minutes.

We should really wait till perchild and/or metux [1] are completed, which is when you will be able to use a scalable solution for independant vhosts. The problems is that it doesn't seem that anybody is working on those.

The best solution for now if you have conflicting namespaces, is to run separate mod_perl servers for each host.

[1] http://nibiru.borg.metux.de:7000/wiki.mpm/