> I think a great first-place to start for advocacy is to work with the
> various linux/bsd/*nix distributions out there to make sure that they
> have a modern, compatible version of mod_perl 2.  As a user, I don't
> want to maintain my own perl/mod_perl build tree - I want my distro to
> do the right thing.  Perhaps a first-step in the advocacy movement is
> to maintain a "distro compatibility list" for mod_perl 2 on
> perl.apache.org, so that it's not such a black-art in determining
> whether mod_perl/Apache::* packages are up-to-date or whether there are
> timebombs waiting to ambush new users.

Sounds like a good idea, and if we point people in the right direction to
get updated versions/backports for their distro that might help with the
rest.

As a Debian user I'd like to move to mod_perl2 proper, however I don't want
to have to compile it for myself. So I've been taking the option of using
the version in Sarge, and figuring our where I differ from the docs.

I've been checking apt-get.org regularly to see if anybody had setup a
repository, and backports. I hadn't been checking the incoming folder on
backports, so didn't realise that somebody had done the pacakge till it was
mentioned on here recently.

Carl