On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:40:54 -0800
Curtis Poe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Frank Wiles wrote:
> >   Many distros now setup Apache defaultly to "Include conf.d/*" so
> >   you can "drop in" configs like this without having to muck with
> >   the original/main httpd.conf.
>
> I compiled my from source and it doesn't appear to do this.  However,
> I see that httpd takes a '-f' switch which lets me specify an
> alternate config file.  From what I can tell, short of having
> includes already allowed in the default httpd.conf, there's no
> default way to allow *additional* config files.  So the way to get
> around this seems to be for me to do this:
>
>    httpd -f /path/to/my/config
>
> And then have my config include the original httpd.conf.  Is that the
> only way to handle this?  Is seems rather hackish, so I assume
> there's a better way.

  Yeah you would need to either pass in your own conf with -f or
  get the user to add the one line:

  Include /path/to/your.conf

  Or the "Include conf.d/*" option, but you're correct that isn't
  defaultly in the Apache conf from source.  However, distros like
  Fedora, RHEL, etc. have their confs with it.  YMMV by distro.

  Short of the other suggestion of bundling your own apache/mod_perl/etc
  I don't think you're going to be able to able to easily get around
  having the user do almost nothing.  I don't think many users would
  be confused by adding one line of config to httpd.conf however.

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org