My apologies for being a dumbo, your forbearance is much appreciated!
no problem... Everybody has to start somewhere.

You seem to recommend the APR:* interfaces, but then go on to show that to use APR::Request::Param to handle uploads, we will have to code wrapper code similar to that in Apache2::Upload each time, for ourselves?
I was really just trying to illustrate a use of it and show that the Apache2::* API's are wrappers or applications of the APR. Thus, you can do anything with the APR::* methods you could with the Apache2:: ones.

I also didn't understand the difference between the two cookie classes, except that there is an implication that the APR::Request::Cookie classes do not call freeze/thaw automatically? Does this mean that I have to call encode/decode on values when I create or access APR::Request::Cookie cookies?
One does encoding decoding for you aka ' ' => %20
You might not need this depending on what you put in your cookies.
APR's Cookies does call them, but there are not the same freeze thaw.
There implemented as:
sub freeze { };
sub thaw { shift->value }
[Thats from memory so don't quote me on it]

Whereas Apache2's Cookie are more complex.

I can't even seem to get the APR::Request->new() to work. [embarrassment!] Mmmm, maybe there isn't a new() method? Or maybe my install is broken: Can't locate auto/APR/Request/new.al
sub handler {

        my $r = shift;
        my $req = APR::Request->handle($r);

        return Apache2::Const::OK;
}

  $req = APR::Request::Custom->handle($pool,
                                      "foo=arg1&bar=arg2",
                                      "cookie=apache",
                                       $parser, 1e6, $bb);
Thats to create a custom request object given the query string. You'll like not going to use that particular method. It has other uses though.

  $param = $req->param("foo");
  $cookie = $req->jar("cookie");

Any code samples would help me, though at this stage, it seems to me that the Apache2::Cookie is much easier to understand, create and use.
Familiar API .. aka CGI::Cookie(). Whereare the APR::* mirror the Apache's APR API

One other thing, none of the SEE ALSO links work :(
I'm working on that....

Code sample:

package TEST::APREQ;

use strict;
use warnings FATAL => ’all’;

use Apache2::RequestRec ();
use Apache2::RequestIO ();
use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(OK);
use APR::Request::Apache2 ();

sub handler {
        my $r = shift;
        my $req = APR::Request::Apache2->handle($r);

        my $p = $req->args(’p’);

        $r->content_type(’text/plain’);
        $r->print("p: $p");

        return Apache2::Const::OK;
}
1;

For cookies, see the FAQ I wrote on the mp site: (3rd one down)
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/cooking.html

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."

Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 301.254.5198