On 2/16/06, Jonathan Vanasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Feb 16, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 22:14 +0100, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
>> One question about the various template systems and mod_perl : is
>> there not a performance hit in using these?

and whatever the performance hit is - remember that 90% of your
processor time is spent on the page logic / DB interaction.  if you
come across any major performance issues, you can try caching entire
pages, or parts of pages, into memcached or something similar to
avoid repetitive tasks.

Right. My site is inherently multilingual, and that's done with templates. But all teh bog standard site text is in one big cached hash, that saves db queries. That helped quite a lot. That mechanism doesn't have to change at all if I change template systems.

after playing with templating systems for far too long - i offer this
golden piece of advice: use whatever templating system gives you the
best templates for your needs (be it natural writing or speed of
writing, or standards compliant, or easy to use by html monkeys).
the biggest performance gain to get with any templating engine is in
authoring the template itself .

True. Currently I have a nasty mix of perl and html all over, all though it's not too unmanageable as teh site is small. But it's an obstacle to growth, so my mind is going towards catalyst/TT or something and a big rewrite. I need to do a lot of db reorganisation and such anyhow. I just don't want to do all that and end up with a 60 MB mod_perl process (which I hear is not that uncommon). That would be very annoying.

I guess I'll have to do some simple experiments and extraploate from there. No rush anyhow, I can take my time.

Thanks all. Sleep time for me.

--
Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com