On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:19 AM, Foo JH wrote:

Boysenberry Payne wrote:
One of the draw back that seems to be evident to me as I've looked
into the client side frameworks is changes in the code are ought
of your control.  WIth a purely server side solution it would seem
to give the coder the choice to upgrade when there is time, etc.
With the 3rd party frameworks they choose when you upgrade.
For the more stable solutions this is less of a problem.  For the
newer technologies I've heard a lot of grumbling about having
to recode every time there is an upgrade...
My take on the current situation on client-side frameworks (AJAX- styled?) is that it's a bit wild. We have scriptaculous, prototype, yui, rico and more. Each of them do parts of a framework (eg. drag- n-drop, controls), but even the concept of a client-side framework is kinda hazy. What constitutes a client-side framework exactly?

So until some organisation big enough comes along to offer a defacto implementation that everybody will take reference from, expect changes and more changes. This of course is good news for web ui developers - more jobs stability for everybody! On the flip side, IE7-8-9 will continue to make a nuisance of themselves.

Are you FireFoxed yet?

I use FireFox quite a bit now a days, it's the only "cross platform" browser I can use that shows up on both PCs and Macs pretty reliably, besides all of the nifty
debugging tools.

Up until now I've written all of my own JS, to avoid bloat or unnecessary code
as well as keep my learning curve of new APIs to a minimum.

Until a couple of months ago our product only published to Flash swf files so it wasn't even an issue. Just recently, I updated our publisher to publish to
html also, now JS is a bigger deal.

The reason I haven't just jumped right into using JS frameworks is partially bloat, partially issues of propriety, and finally not knowing which one is
going to offer me what I need.

Its hard enough trying to stay on top of using the right perl module for
the task at hand, and they're all easy to find and study.

Currently, without something like cpan for JS and with most of our administration tasks being handled via Actionscript in the client browser I'm probably going to take my time and continue writing most of my JS; most of it is pretty specific to our publisher's needs anyway, e.g. formatting a page around predefined
look and feel, JS menu behaviors, cookie warnings, etc...

I don't know what I would do without cpan. I'm surprised other languages don't
offer the same tech.  Perl certainly is a one of a kind phenomena....

Thanks for all of the pointers and feedback. If nothing else I'm sure I can learn from
technology available in the frameworks already mentioned.

Boysenberry Payne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]