Because you used theoryx5's perl/modperl/libapreq2 built for VC8, along with
the AL build of 2.2.4 ALSO built for VC8, everything is dandy.

Equally if you used ActiveState perl (built VC6) + a VC6 build of modperl and
libapreq2 with the ASF distribution of httpd 2.2.4, everything is dandy.
Is there a VC6 build of modperl + libapreq2? I've been following the links on the ASF site, so it's always been theoryx5.

To date I've been using ActivePerl all the way, so it's still a combo of VC6 Perl + VC8 modperl. But so far so good...

Mix and match at your own risk.