This server has no proxy in front of it and only serves mod_perl
requests. Static content is loaded from another server with a
different hostname. I had keepalive enabled with a 2 second timeout on
this server until a few seconds ago. Now before you rake me over the
coals, I _thought_ that when I disabled keepalive I saw a significant
rise in CPU usage when running threaded. I suspected the overhead of
establishing a TCP connection as the cause of this, so I reenabled
keepalive with a 2 second timeout a while back. But that was a
mistake.

Based on Perrin's advice I now have the following config:

Keepalive Disabled
Prefork MPM

StartServers 10
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 45
ServerLimit 50
MaxClients 50
MaxRequestsPerChild 5000

Here's how mod_status looked BEFORE this change with keepalive on and
250 threads with worker MPM:

*snip*
37.6 requests/sec - 109.0 kB/second - 2969 B/request
63 requests currently being processed, 187 idle workers

_C__C______C__K__KK_CK___KK__K____KC_______K______..............
C_KK__W__K______K_____K____________KK_K_______C_K_..............
C__CK______K_C______K_K__C_K____K_K__K_C__K____K__..............
__CKKK___________________C____KC____C_K________C__..............
_KC__KK_____K___W_________C____K_K___C_C________K_..............

And here's what it looks like after this change:

*snip*
36.2 requests/sec - 107.9 kB/second - 3054 B/request
17 requests currently being processed, 24 idle workers

___C___CC_C__C_C__C_CCC_C_CC___C__W____CC.........

There's no rise in CPU usage with keepalive off - in fact it seems to
have dropped.

And here's the output of 'free' after the change after running for 10 minutes:
Mem:       2054504    1638580     415924          0      83376     772828
-/+ buffers/cache:     782376    1272128
Swap:      2096472      49340    2047132

LOTS of free memory.

The only possible down-side of this is the tiny amount of extra
bandwidth used with each additional non-keepalive request by the HTTP
headers. But since I don't use large cookies, that really is a small
amount. Also, I'm using mod_deflate which means I can spare some
bandwidth.

I'm probably going to stick with this config because I like the tried
and tested prefork model, the fact that I can see each process and
it's memory usage and of course it solves my original problem (so far
anyway) of the number of processes doubling for an unknown reason. It
also seems to be a little more CPU efficient.

Thanks very much for all the help!!

Mark.

--
Mark Maunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>