Randy,

I think characterizing the ASF binaries as unreliable with
mod_perl is misleading - there were some recent problems
with restarts, etc. on Win32 that have been looked into
and addressed for the 2.2.8 release.
The intent of my earlier response was not to undermine the quality of the ASF builds. I have been relying on the ASF binaries since 1.3 (even though it was not recommended for Windows). And it's only in the recent months that I have come to depend on another source until some of my key needs (on the binaries) are resolved. So please take it as just a layman sharing his experience and resolution on the problems.

Moving forward, I do see that there's some conversation about recompiling modperl based on the newer releases of ActivePerl. That's a very encouraging move.

- As you say, the ApacheLounge binaries use a different
compiler version which may in itself introduce some
problems.
Agreed. To date I still don't know what mess I've gotten myself into by using this hybrid stack. It's still looking good and I'm crossing my fingers. Maybe it's finally my lucky year...

- As well, the latest ApacheLounge binary distribution contains some changes:
   http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9752
from the official ASF 2.2.8 sources, which isn't
apparent from the title "Apache 2.2.8 available" on
  http://www.apachelounge.com/
Noted.

I think it's fair to say the mod_perl developers will only
provide support for official ASF versions of Apache.

Since mod_perl is an ASF project, I guess it can't be helped. Personally I do applaud the 2nd take on the Win32 binaries that AL took. Having said that, at the end of the day everyone lives and dies with the ASF development.