On 26/02/2008, Michael Lackhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Of course you are right, Perl is totally up to the task, that's why we
>  are here, aren't we? ;-)
>  The other posters are also right, there is lots of community, lots of
>  CPAN and still enough books...
>
>  ...but
>  Perl is no longer the "duct tape of the internet", there are these
>  stories about sites moving from Perl to JAVA but none about moving in
>  the opposite direction, there is all this fuzz about Ruby on Rails and a
>  boss who wants me to learn JAVA.

There are stories about moving from Perl to Java, but to be honest,
I've never seen an example of this actually happening succesfully. In
my experience, management talk about moving to whatever is on magazine
covers but any decent project manager or IT Director would run away
screaming if asked to actually do it.

>  So, I don't want to do Perl-bashing, of course not, it is the language I
>  feel most at home with but I see that nowadays you really have to fight
>  to be allowed to write the next bigger project in Perl. There is this
>  "You are still using Perl?" all around that makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Not been my experience.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk