Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Octavian Râsnita <orasn...@gmail.com> wrote:
...and in most parts of the
>> world it is hard to find competent perl programmers.
>
> ...The job
> listings for Perl are strong.  They're huge compared to those for
> Ruby.  Of course Java is massively more popular than either of them,
> but that doesn't make the perl market small.

I wouldn't use the word 'most', but here in Southeast Asia it's a real
challenge to find a Perl developer with significant experience in Perl/
modperl. Those who do use it as a minor scripting tool in their unix
administration.

There are still jobs requiring Perl of course, but it's usually in the
context of having Perl as a secondary proficiency, with Java/ .NET as
the primary. We have a real problem getting the average freshie to
appreciate the beauty of dynamic languages.

Sorry guys.