Octavian Râsnita wrote:
> The actual perl programmers are not important, because they already have
> their reasons for using perl.
> Are you saying that nobody uses Zend Encoder because PHP also runs using
> an interpreter?

I'm changing the topic of your discussion because it's gone tangent to
the subject...

Business people love the idea of their intellectual property (IP) being
protected by way of code encryption. Try telling them their money-making
code is 'in the open, but everyone's doing it too'. Not exactly a warm
fuzzy feeling.

This topic has been resurfaced from time to time. I think the bottom
line is: there is no supported form of code encryption for Perl. Some
people try to partially compile the code into bytecode, and distribute
with that. But I don't think it's officially supported.

The forward step in this may lie with Perl6. Unfortunately while Parrot
1.0 has JUST been launched, Perl6 isn't, and it'd take quite a while
before we get there. It's still NOT encoded, just compiled into a more
cryptic form, just like Java and the rest.