On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM, <cr...@animalhead.com> wrote:
> I have no idea what EU::MM is.  Candy from Europe?

Good guess, but it's actually ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  It's the CPAN
install mechanism that Module::Build was written to replace.

> My plan was to run the script the first time under Build.PL, to
> verify that it succeeds and because without the DB there can be no
> testing.

I'd suggest trying to find another way.  Installers that ask questions
are a real problem for automated scripts and distribution packagers
and are definitely discouraged.  Take a look at the module authors
list for more discussion on this.  There are some standard ways of
allowing people to skip prompts.

One thing you could do for testing is to ship a small set of test
files and a pre-built db for them.

> It's not a run time option.  The subject is a mod_perl2 script, that
> can only be used within the Apache2 server.  I can't conceive why the
> DB name would ever change, and multiple programs won't use the module.

Some people have many apache installations on one machine, or may
install new ones after installing your module.

> I personally regard "docs already out there" as things that should
> be restated "in here" whenever the user can profit from them.

There's no harm in giving them a pointer to the relevant part of the
Module::Build docs or an example of using the correct flags.  Go
ahead.

> It seems that you and Perrin are in the same boat, which has "One Perl
> Library For All" painted on it.  I am in a different boat with the
> authors of various mod_perl books.  I set up my site under the guidance
> of "Practical mod_perl" p. 34:

Sorry, I think you're mis-reading the advice in these books.  What the
authors are talking about there is your own local code, not CPAN
modules.  CPAN modules have a standard location and a standard
mechanism for changing it for special cases.  On the other hand, you
would never put your own local code in the site_perl directory, so
that goes in your mod_perl lib directory and gets added to @INC.  I
hope that explains why we're surprised to hear this idea of putting
mod_perl modules in a separate place -- it's one I've never heard
before.

- Perrin