On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Douglas Sims <ratsb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious... what is the hardware like on the one server?  How many CPUs
> and RAM?

AMD Athlon quad core, running 32 bit Ubuntu Hardy. 16 GB of RAM. Algebra.Com
data is stored on an SSD>

> Also, a few thoughts...
>
> - You do a 301 from algebra.com to www.algebra.com.  That doesn't take
> much work from the server, but why not just serve up everything from the
> original location?

then I will have to serve algebra.com twice to all search engines.

> - The algebra problem I just tried returned twelve separate images.  What
> if, instead of serving gifs you displayed each stage of transformation of
> the equation using HTML and CSS?  That would be rather tricky with things
> like root signs but I think it could be done - though a bit of work.

I rather like the way I do it, I let my site render images exactly how I
want, as opposed to letting browsers do it.

> I wish this site had been around when I was in high school.

thanks. I have some real math addicts on my site, who solved many thousands
of problems and helped hundreds of kids. I am glad to serve them.