On Wed 16 Sep 2009, Igor Chudov wrote:
> >> I have very little static content. Even images are generated. My
> >> site generates images of math formulae such as (x-1)/(x+1) on the
> >> fly.,
> >
> > I can understand generating them on the fly for flexibility
> > reasons, but I'd cache them, and serve them statically after that,
> > rather than regenerate the images on every single request.  You can
> > accomplish that in the app itself, or just by throwing a caching
> > proxy in front of it (maybe you're already doing this with perlbal)
>
> I actually do cache generated pictures, I store them in a database
> table called 'bincache'. This way I do not have to compute and draw
> every image on the fly. If I have a picture in bincache, I serve it,
> and if I do not, I generate it and save it. That saves some CPU, but
> makes mysql work harder.

I'd go for Apache's mod_cache + mod_disk_cache. The only thing you have
to do is to set cache control headers. Mod_cache is really fast b/c it
skips almost all of the http request cycle. And in your case it takes
load from the database. The request won't even hit mod_perl.

Torsten

--
Need professional mod_perl support?
Just hire me: torsten.foert...@gmx.net