On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Scott Gifford
<sgiff...@suspectclass.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on an Apache configuration for a cluster of machines
> serving a variety of virtual hosts.

I would not try to unify disparate configs into one unless each server
is actually going to service all the virtual hosts your pulling in.
You would unnecessarily couple configs together that don't need to be.

> It seems much cleaner to me to let Apache look up the information for
> a virtual host as it is needed.  Conceptually, when each request comes
> in, I would like Apache to look at the Host: header, build a temporary
> virtual host entry from that, and use it to service the request.  I
> will use caching to make it reasonably fast.  Then the provisioning
> script just writes to the database table and is done, and I can handle
> any errors on a per-request basis without Apache failing to start.

Sounds like you might be pushing the envelope on what Apache can
actually do.  If you cannot solve the problem in Apache you could
consider relying on Apache default vhost as a way to funnel all
requests into a Perl "dynamic vhost" implementation.  You get exactly
what your looking for, but you tradeoff the speed and maturity of
Apache vhost code for yours.

-wjt