On 11/12/2009 03:33 PM, Nicolas George wrote:

If I can not do it with Apache and mod_perl, I will write my own HTTP
server. But that is a shame, because it has to serve static content too, and
that, Apache does definitely better than me.

I wouldn't write your own. There are other event based, asynchronous web servers out there in Perl (HTTP::Server::Multiplex, Net::Server::Coro, Tatsumaki) so better to pick one of those than write your own.

This technique in general falls under the umbrella term of "Comet", so I'd search CPAN for that. When I did it I quickly saw Stardust.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP