Thanks guys, seems that AIX does some trickery when there is setuid stuff.
I tried running on port 8080 as a normal users and it works fine.
I will solve the situation and then post back so others can find the
solution.
Thanks heaps guys for the pointers.

Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com> wrote on 18/12/2009 08:38:34 AM:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com>
wrote:
> > On 12/17/2009 04:25 PM, greg.geo...@orica.com wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW apache is starting as root and I have confirmed that startup.pl
is
> >> being run as root by apache/mod_perl
> >> I am going to look in more detail at what DynaLoader.pm does in case
> >> this gives any clues.
> >
> > Not sure if this helps or not, but on some systems LD_LIBRARY_PATH
can't be
> > set by the same process that uses it. So you need it set by the
process that
> > starts the process that uses. So for instance, you need to make sure
it's
> > set in your shell environment and that it gets exported to the
commands you
> > run (sometimes "su" can remove ENV vars). And then you'll need a
"PassEnv
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH" and a "PerlPassEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH". But you can't do
> > "SetEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH" in your httpd.conf.
> >
> > Not sure if that will help or not though since it's been a while since
I've
> > touched AIX.
>
> I remember LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues a few years ago with 64bit and
> libpaths in /usr/lib64 etc.  I was able to resolve that by adding the
> paths to /etc/ld.so.conf or something similar and then running
> ldconfig to update the system library paths.  No such facility in AIX:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.aix/browse_frm/thread/b9bad793f5e2a475?pli=1

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This message is intended solely for the individual(s) and entity(s) addressed.
It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. The use,
copying or distribution of this
message or any information it contains, by anyone other than the addressee, is
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify
postmas...@orica.com. The mailbox address
from which this message has been sent is for business mail only. Mail sent to
it may be subject to security scanning and delivery on non-business messages
sent to this address may not occur.
Thank you.