Thanks for the reply William, at first I thought the same thing but as time
went on and this only effected 1 virtual host and not the other (and the other
had 10x the traffic), I didn't seem like hardware or config related.

I've gotten a little further since my last post, but it still doesn't make
sense.

If I take the DB connection out of the script, it doesn't happen. I've added
and removed it a few times just because I couldn't belive it.

The DB is on another machine and both virtual hosts call the same machine (each
virtual is a different DB on the dedicated DB server).

The only difference in the DB connection call between the 2 scripts is that
virtual host 1 calls it via a custom package (as other scripts need the same
DB) - this is the site that works.

Virtual Host 2 makes the connection within "sub handler" and that's the one
that doesn't work.

No closer to a solution though - any method I try to use to connect to the DB
from VH2 results in this problem.

Still doesn't make a lot of sense.