Thanks guys for this informative thread.
I use Archive::Zip extensively, including in mod_perl context.
I have not encountered this problem yet, but will now make sure to keep an eye open for it when I upgrade my systems.

Thomas den Braber wrote:
Yes I am sure that second argument is false.
In the old version I only used one argument but changed the second to 0
hoping that solved the problem.

As Torsten was suggesting, I tested with:

  script | cat > file

And yes that also fails with Archive::Zip 1.30  and worked ok
with 1.26

script > file
Worked in both versions.

There is something wrong in the new Archive::Zip module
I send a message to the CPAN forum hope they pick it up.